Galveston opens its beautiful historic homes to the public for two weekends in May

HOUSTON – If you’ve traveled to Galveston, you’ll find that historic homes abound, but for the history and real estate buffs among you, the homes are largely off-view — until now.

Tom Schwenk Galveston Real Estate and the Galveston Historical Foundation will present a select number of homes for two weekends in early May.

Tours are held from 10am to 6pm on May 7-8 and May 14-15. Tickets are $35 for general admission through May 2 and $40 after and during the tour.

Tickets are available online by clicking here, or the day of at any of the tour homes, tickets are also valid for both weekends and are not sold for individual homes.

Advertisement

All tours will feature the following homes: the 1874 Robert and Ellen Hughes House, Cover House, the 1896 Oscar and Mary Walker House, the 1897 August J. Henck Cottage, the 1906 Romanet-Glenn House, the Stubbs-Garrigan Bungalow from 1922, and the Dr. Albert and Willie Dean Singleton House from 1931.

On May 7 and 8, tourists will be treated to the 1866 Thomas and Frances Blythe House, which is being renovated, next to the Magruder Cottage, which was built in 2020 as bonus houses during the tour’s first weekend.

On May 14 and 15, tourists will be treated to the Plum House, built in 2022, as a bonus house during the guided tours last weekend.

Take a look through some of the tour-ific (yes, bad joke we know) houses below:

Contractor Charles Franks built this wood-framed, inset-porch bungalow in 1922 for cotton clerk Sidney Stubbs and his wife, Thelma Bagnal. In 1941, Owen and Cora Garrigan bought the house. Garrigan worked as a bookkeeper before founding Garrigan’s Sporting Goods at 514 Tremont. Located in the Lasker Park neighborhood, the Garrigan family kept the bungalow until 2007. (Historic Galveston Foundation)
This wood-framed folk home is a rare 1900 storm survivor in the San Jacinto neighborhood. The first part dates from 1866 and was probably built by Thomas Blythe before he died in 1867. The later rear ells create an unusual configuration and can be moved into houses attached to the main three-bay residence with a central hall. This project is currently being rehabilitated as part of GHF’s ​​long-standing Preservation Revolving Fund. (Historic Galveston Foundation)
Located in the historic Silk Stocking district, Adolph and Augusta Helmann built this high-altitude L-plan Victorian cottage in 1894. Features of the cottage include a projecting bay window topped with a gabled roof decorated with patterned clapboards and an inset fleur-de-line porch. -lis panels placed between balusters. Helmann was born in New Orleans and worked as an independent hairdresser. He operated his barber shop in Market Street before taking over the barbershop at the Tremont Hotel. (Historic Galveston Foundation)
Pictures of the historic houses that will be seen during the tour (Historic Galveston Foundation)
Realtor and developer August J. Henck built this elevated L-plan Queen Anne cottage in 1897 on land owned by his family since 1868. Prominent features of the cottage in the East End Historic District include a projecting sloping bay topped by a gabled roof with dove-tail girders and decorative cornice brackets and original Victorian art glass windows displaying the moon, stars and nautilus shells. Henck’s adopted daughter, Sadie, inherited the cottage upon his death in 1931 and lived there until her own death in 1960. (Historic Galveston Foundation)
In November 1906, Emilie Romanet built this two-story house next to her home at 2601 Broadway. When it was finished, Emilie’s son, Louis, and his newlywed bride, Minnie Rolf, used the house as their home. The building is a transitional design common in the late 1800s and early 1900s, reflecting the Colonial Revival style that became more popular in the early 1900s. In 1940, Dr. William Glenn Sr. and his wife Gladys owned the house and their family retained the property until 2005. Located in the Old Central District, the house’s most notable features are its full-width porch and circular columns. (Historic Galveston Foundation)
Pictures of the historic houses that will be seen during the tour (Historic Galveston Foundation)
Oscar and Mary Walker built this southern mansion in 1896. Walker worked as a clerk and salesman for several Galveston dry goods companies, including Fellman’s and Eiband’s. He and his family lived in the house until 1904 when they moved to 1311 25th Street. Located in the historic Silk Stocking district, the house features double galleries and a side hall floor plan, a common form built in Galveston in the 19th and early 20th centuries. (Historic Galveston Foundation)
Pictures of the historic houses that will be seen during the tour (Historic Galveston Foundation)
Houston architect Cameron Fairchild designed this Monterey Revival home for internationally renowned surgeon Dr. Albert Singleton and his wife Willie Dean Bivens. dr. Singleton received his medical degree from UTMB in 1910 and became chairman of the Department of Surgery in 1927. The Monterey Revival influence of Fairchild’s design is noted by the buff brick, tile roof, and full-width balcony on the second floor. . Located in the historic East End district, the home is one of several designed by Fairchild for Galveston’s elite between 1929 and 1963. (Historic Galveston Foundation)
This Spanish Colonial Revival residence was built by Joseph Woodruff and completed in April 1927 in Cedar Lawn, one of Galveston’s most prestigious neighborhood developments of the early 20th century. A 1926 Daily News article describes the house as “Spanish Mediterranean” and the only one of its type in Galveston with a mezzanine balcony in the living room, a Spanish rooftop patio, and iron grilles. dr. Born in England, Fletcher served as a captain in the dental corps during WWI and then married Frances Linder, a native of Switzerland. (Historic Galveston Foundation)

Tours can start at any of the houses and you can view them in the order you prefer. There are no discounts for children; babies in arms are free.

Parking is available near each tour home on a first come, first served basis. No shuttle service is offered.

Copyright 2022 by KPRC Click2Houston – All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply