Dog owners warn of poisonous algae and plants


Dog owners have been warned of poisonous algae and poisonous plants along the shores of Lough Neagh in Antrim.

The test was conducted near Rea’s Wood after the dog reportedly died after it entered the water.

The Northern Ireland Environment Agency was notified of the pet’s death on May 19.

Several tests were performed over several days to verify evidence of algae bloom.

Antrim and the Newtownabbey Borough Council said the samples received Tuesday confirmed that a small amount of algae known as Microcystis sp had washed up on the shore.

Microcystis sp is a blue-green algae capable of producing toxins that are highly toxic and often dangerous to pets.

‘Most poisonous native plant’

The council said the hemlock water plant was dripping with a lot of poisonous water. But ubiquitous, it grows in wooded areas along the forests of the Rea.

In a safety update posted online, it states: “Hemlock water dropwort (poison radish) is possibly the most poisonous native plant in England and Ireland.

Hemlock water dropwort is toxic to humans and animals if ingested.

“This is a native plant. not an invasive species and mostly grows in wet grasslands along rivers and adjacent to lakes.

“It is extremely toxic to humans and pets if ingested. Although the roots are more poisonous than the above-ground parts.”


The council has created new signs warning people about toxic plants and algae. And advise dog owners to take care of their pets at all times.

“Dog owners should always be aware of the dangers posed by poisonous plants and algae growing in their environment. especially along the banks of rivers wet meadow or by the lake,” the council said.

Last year, after three dogs in the area died. The Council and the Northern Ireland Environment Agency have launched an investigation.

There was no evidence that these dogs were poisoned due to exposure to water in Lofny.

Jim Gregg of the Sixmilewater Trust told BBC Newsline that “whatever killed the dog” last year was never firmly established.

He said that as a member of the trust He came to this site after one of the dogs died. And accidentally found what I thought was seaweed washed up on the shore.

Mr Gregg said if he owns a dog He probably didn’t want to bring a dog into the area. “Nowadays”

“It has to be said that blue-green algae naturally occur in the environment. So you can’t keep a dog forever. But there will be certain times of the year. I would like to say that one should be more careful and cautious – from May to September.

Leave a Reply