10 dangerous houseplants for children

Although houseplants beautify homes, parents should be aware of these 10 plants that can be harmful to children’s health.



Bonsai is the traditional Japanese art of growing miniature trees, which always look spectacular and extraordinary. But it turns out that it also has its downsides. Allergy sufferers who suffer from pollen and flowering should be careful with dwarf plants: like large trees, they can cause a strong allergic reaction, especially exotic species.

English ivy:

english ivy

English ivy is the closest relative of poison ivy. And if with the latter everything is clear even from the name, with the first everything is not so unambiguous.

Many people continue to use English ivy as a houseplant, unaware that it can cause an allergic skin reaction, leading to itching, rashes, or blisters. Pet owners should take special care when breeding ivy. If your pet swallows an ivy leaf, they can develop respiratory problems, paralysis, or even coma.



Yucca is one of the most spectacular indoor plants. Due to its structure, it is often confused with a palm tree. Cassava leaves protrude in different directions, leaning slightly towards the bottom. But this plant is also not suitable for allergy sufferers: it will immediately cause the desire to sneeze endlessly.

Euphorbia trigona:

trigone euphoria

Euphorbia trigona is a succulent that contains a special milky sap that can cause severe skin irritation, burns, and blisters. Under no circumstances should you allow the sap of Euphorbia trigona to come into contact with your eyes: it can even cause blindness.



Dieffenbachia contains calcium oxalate crystals and is therefore especially dangerous for dogs and cats. As in the case of caladium, it can have tragic consequences if the animal accidentally ingests it: it can cause severe burning in the mouth, swelling, respiratory failure and even death.

Devil’s Ivy:

devil’s ivy

Despite its fame as the best plant in terms of indoor air purification, devil’s ivy is extremely dangerous. In fact, that is what its name suggests. Irritation, burning, vomiting and diarrhea are some of the consequences of ingesting the plant in humans. In cats and dogs, it can cause choking, swelling, difficulty breathing, kidney failure, and even death.



Oleander is a beautiful plant with pink flowers. However, what can happen if you get too close to this plant is alarming. According to the Canadian Center for Biodiversity Information, this plant is extremely toxic. So even a single blade can have a deadly effect! The worst idea is to use the branches of this bush as skewers during a picnic.



Poinsettias, despite their beautiful name, are also a serious danger to both humans and animals. Spectacular red-leaved plants, which are often presented in our stores at Christmas, cause health problems: if the sap gets on human skin, you will immediately get a rash. Vomiting, diarrhea, and skin irritation will occur to your pets if they accidentally eat such a thistle leaf.

Solanum pseudocapsicum:

Solanum Pseudocapsicum

Solanum Pseudocapsicum is an attractive houseplant with orange-red berries. But it can be a threat to curious children who want to try its fruit. The fact is that the berries of this plant are poisonous. They can cause poisoning, headaches, diarrhea, respiratory failure, and paralysis.



If you have small children or pets in your home, get rid of zamioculcas immediately. This plant has a beautiful exotic appearance but is poisonous, especially to children and pets. It can cause a rash and, if swallowed, stinging and nausea.

Metroxylon Sagu:

metroxylon sagu

Metroxylon sagu is a valuable food plant, from the core of which sago, a starchy food product, is obtained. However, every part of this exotic flower is poisonous to animals. Sagas are the source of all kinds of unpleasant symptoms, from diarrhea to liver failure and death.



Chlorophytum should definitely not be purchased by people with allergies. It may seem like a great air purifier, but if you suddenly find yourself having trouble breathing and feeling good after bringing it home, get rid of the chlorophytum right away.

Crassula ovata:

Crassula ovata

Crassula ovata is harmful to curious dogs and cats. It can cause stomach upset, heart rhythm disturbances, and even depression. So do not rush to gift this beautiful and seemingly harmless plant, also called “money tree”, to pet owners.

** Extracted from Capital Post

Leave a Reply